There are various issues our environment is facing. Garbage clogs up landfills, certain gases from the energy we use are polluting the air and these together are playing a role in the negative impacts being made in the world. The good news is that there is something we all can do to help. The first thing is to understand these issues. Then you can take action, make changes, and encourage everyone else to do the same.
There are signs everywhere that the climate of the Earth continues to get warmer; there are changes in patterns of rain, the sea level continues to rise, and ice and snow is melting sooner than normal. As the temperatures continue to rise, we will see even more changes that will have a huge impact on ecosystems, animals, and people. When it rains less there is less water in certain places but if it rains too much there can be flooding. When days are hot, crops can dry and animals and people can become sick. Certain places in the world will have a difficult time dealing with the changes in the environment whereas others can prepare successfully. Any negative impacts can be made less severe if everyone does their part by helping reduce greenhouse gases being put into the atmosphere. Should no one do anything, things will get worse, faster.
- Global Climate Change – Environmental Protection Agency kids’ page puts a focus on science, global warming, climate change, things that can be done to help.
- Climate Change – This website uses stories, questions, and games to help children understand issues faced with climate change issues.
- The Greenhouse – Here you can find out all sorts of information about global warming, dangerous weather, and more. Simply click the various links and go exploring.
- Research Explorer – Choose one of four categories: atmosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere, and cryosphere to learn about climate change. You can also learn about predicting future changes in climate change.
- EcoKids –Kids can learn about climate change through fun activities and games. Kids can also find out ways they can take action to help improve our environment.
- Drought for Kids – Here you can read about what drought is, the climate and weather, the weather cycle, what causes drought, and floods and droughts.
- Global Warming Kids – Watch videos, play games, see climate change science project winners, and more.
- Tiki the Penguin – Tiki the Penguin will help you learn what climate change is, what the greenhouse effect is, and more. You can also do crossword puzzles and take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
- Kids Green – Play games, learn some projects you can do alone or with some friends, challenge your skills and abilities, and join the KRG club so you can help spread the word about environmental issues.
- Kids vs. Global Warming – This is a non-profit organization for kids dedicated to taking necessary actions to impact the future of the world.
Energy is of great use to us; without it there would be nothing: no movement, no heat, no light, no people, nothing. We need energy to help our computers work, cars move, light bulbs work, plants grow, you name it. It’s all around it and is used every day in our lives in every activity. Although energy is a great thing, some people are using way more than they should and some types of energy causes pollution in our air and global warming. We each can do our part to help by reducing the amount of energy we use on a daily basis. Unplugging items that are not being used, making sure to turn lights out when you leave a room, and using more energy-efficient items are a few things that can be done to help.
- Energy Kids – Learn what energy is, sources of energy, using energy, saving energy, and the history of energy. You can also play some fun games to help in learning.
- Energy Quest – This website allows you to have fun while learning about energy and gaining an energy ethic.
- Energy Star Kids – This is a great interactive website that will help you understand where energy comes from, different types of energy, and how you can save energy. You can also view a slide show on global warming.
- Kids Energy Zone – Another great interactive website to teach you about energy. Play games, learn, color, and read stories.
- Kids Saving Energy – Learn about renewable energy, how to save energy, and play games.
- Department of Environmental Protection – This website will help kids learn about energy and the environment.
- Science Kids – Here you can read some quick facts about energy.
- Power Up – Play this action/strategy game to save the planet from ecological devastation.
- Learning Power – Learn about electric safety, kilowatts, and play power match.
- Heat Flow, Energy, and Life – This website will teach you about energy flow, changes in energy, and much more!
Waste Reduction and Recycling
When we throw things away that can be recycled, it goes to the landfill and just sits there. Sometimes it can take many, many years for certain things to decompose. This can be harmful to our health and our environment. You can help by keeping the three R’s in mind at all times: reduce, reuse, and recycle. Reduce the amount of things you use and throw away, find other uses for certain items, and recycle what you can such as plastic, paper, glass, tin, and aluminum. You can also use scrap food for compost in a worm bin. In doing so, you are not only helping yourself, you are helping better the environment for a long time to come.
- Washington State Department of Ecology Kids Page – Learn about paper, plastic, aluminum, tin, and glass recycling as well as play fun recycling educational games.
- Recycle Rex – Recycle Rex will teach you how to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
- Recycle Zone – Kids, teachers, and schools can use this educational website to learn the various things in waste.
- Recycling for Kids – Watch this music video by David Chicken to learn more about recycling.
- Zipper’s Green Tips – Zipper gives you tips on how you can help save the environment.
- The Imagination Factory – Use this website to spark your creativity and make things out of recycled items.
- Attorney General’s Kid’s Page – Here you can learn what can and cannot be recycled.
- Lawrence Recycling – The Lawrence Recycling website allows you to learn while playing games and you also have a chance to win a poster!
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – Learn about garbage and recycling, how to sort recyclable items, what happens to waste, and how you can reduce your garbage.
- Vermicomposting – Learn about composting and making good use of your waste.
Heating and Air Conditioning Services
energy efficiency ~ chicago heating installation ~ heating service chicago ~