Blog - Heating and Cooling- HVAC
Ready Your Home For Annual Service
Regular annual service is critical for maintaining HVAC system function and efficiency, keeping utility expenses to a minimum and optimizing home comfort season after season. By engaging in preparations before the HVAC professional arrives, you’ll be more engaged in the process and may gain a greater awareness of the importance of preventive maintenance.
How to ready your home
Preparing your home for annual service is important for expedient service, preventing accidents and helping you to become familiar with details and issues of your home-comfort system. Follow this how-to guide:
- You should receive a phone call or email from the contractor a day, or a few days, before your appointment for confirmation.
- Know the location of all HVAC systems and components (heating or cooling equipment, ductwork, thermostats, water heater system, humidity-control systems, ventilation and circuit breakers/fuse box), and how to access these systems (through a crawl space, attic, basement, etc.).
- Make sure that all equipment is accessible, and not blocked by furniture, or storage or other household items.
- Write down the manufacturer and model numbers of relevant equipment.
- An adult (over the age of 18) should be present when the HVAC technician arrives to allow them access into your home.
- If you have an issue with a heat pump freezing up (ice accumulation on the evaporator), turn the system off the night before so that it may have time to defrost before service.
- If you’ve had specific problems recently, such as uneven heating or rattling ducts, make a note of them and include as much detail as possible, such as symptoms and when the problems began.
- Confirm an approved method of payment with the contracting company.
- Check the contractor’s website for seasonal promotions and discounts.
In addition to scheduled annual service, you may consider other services to improve comfort and energy efficiency. Energy evaluations can potentially save you a significant amount in energy costs year after year. This service will pinpoint problem areas within the home’s envelope, like air leaks or lack of insulation.
To schedule annual service, or if you have any questions, contact Nicor Home Solutions. We've proudly served homeowners in the west suburbs of Chicago for many years.
Back to Blog
*Nicor Home Solutions is an
affiliate of Nicor Gas and is
not regulated by the Illinois
Customers are not required
to buy products or services
from Nicor Home Solutions
in order to receive the
same quality of service
from the gas utility.