Blog - Heating and Cooling- HVAC
Winter Emergency Preparedness: How To Safely Weather Any Storm
Here in northern Illinois, winter emergency preparedness is of the utmost importance. There's no telling when an ice storm, blizzard or other winter weather event might wreak havoc. Such extreme weather is capable of knocking out electricity supplies and leaving you immobilized for days on end.
Your winter emergency preparedness checklist should include food and water, warm clothing and extra supplies of any medications that you or your family members need. Here is a comprehensive winter emergency preparedness checklist that covers the vitals:
- Food: Nonperishable goods, such as baked beans and canned fruits or vegetables, should form the mainstay of your emergency food rations.
- Water: Allow one gallon of water per person in your household, per day. Since you have no way of knowing how long a storm might affect the area, make sure you have enough water to get you through at least one week.
- Clothing: Layers of warm, waterproof clothing are best. Stock extra blankets, and don't forget the winter hats and mittens.
- Baby supplies: Keep a week's worth of formula, baby food and diapers on hand.
- Pet supplies: Stock extra cat food or dog food, and factor your pets into your water ration preparations.
- Medications: If you or anyone in your household is reliant on medication, talk to your pharmacist about getting an emergency backup supply of prescription drugs.
In addition to these supplies, having a hand-cranked or battery-powered radio on hand is also a good idea. This allows you to get weather updates and stay in the know about local emergency directives. During a winter storm, you should also keep a faucet running, but just at a trickle -- this can prevent your pipes from freezing, and ensures that you'll have running water for the duration of any power outage that might strike.
If you need any further tips or information on winter emergency preparedness, or if you have any other home comfort concerns as the winter weather settles in, we at Nicor Home Services are happy to help. Our dealers proudly serve homeowners throughout the greater Chicago area. To make inquiries or schedule service, please contact us.
Back to Blog
*Nicor Services and Nicor Home Services are affiliates of Nicor Gas and are not regulated by the Illinois Commerce Commission. Customers are not required to buy products or services from either Nicor Services or Nicor Home Services in order to receive the same quality service from the gas utility.